Sunday, April 12, 2009

Some praises

Since the last blog was more of a downer than anything, I figured I needed to point out some of the good things that came with this season.
Steve Sullivan returned to the ice after nearly two years of rehab with his back issues. I never thought I would see him on the ice again, but him proving me wrong was awesome. That guy has all kinds of heart, and I sincerely hope he's back next year. Shit eating midget or not, he made Arnott and Dumont better. Seeing that line together again took me back to my first season as a fan. If only we could get Leggy, Erat, and Kariya on a line again. *Drool*
Shea Weber is a beast. That's all there is to it. Yes, he is my favorite player, but that in no way influences my opinion of his season. He broke the franchise record for goals scored by a defenseman and also ended up breaking the record for shots. That is quite a year for a 23 year old kid, who just last year struggled through injuries and missed a ton of games. He also made his first all star appearance and was paired with Scott Neidermayer in the game. Talk about an honor. I am so proud of the season he had and hopes he comes back bigger, stronger, and ready to carry this team for years to come.
I will be the first to admit that I am one of Jason Arnott's biggest critics. I've called him and Dumont lazy bastards more than I can count, and the assessment still stands true for Dumont, leading scorer or not. However, after coming back from his concussion with only a few games left in the season, I saw what he means to this team. He picked us up and carried us. He was the reason it came down to the last game of the season. He went to the net, pushed people around, and gave it all. The only knock I have on him is that he takes shifts off. Why can't we have seen this Jason all season? I used to want to rip that C off his jersey, but he earned it in the last two weeks of the season. Congrats to him for tying his career high goals for a season and setting a new record for the Predators. Now, this isn't saying that I won't call him lazy next year, but I am commending him now.
Pekka Rinne became the workhorse for this team. He made saves that left us all in awe. We owe us even having a sniff at the playoffs to him. He was tired at the end of the season, and it showed, but he was what we needed him to be for most of the season. It sucks that Ellis had to have such a rough go, but Pekka stepped up when he did. If it wasn't for that douche Steve Mason up in Columbus, I think he'd have a real chance at the Calder. If he can be brilliant over the course of the whole season, and Ellis can come in and be a reliable back up to him, this team could do some damage next season.
Regardless, these guys are class acts and I'm proud to have them on our team.

No comments:

Post a Comment