Saturday, January 16, 2010

Break out the brooms, Canada

The 6am alarm for work came way too early this morning. I was up until almost 11 watching the Preds vs Flames game.

Thankfully for Calgary, Kipper kept them in this one early on. The Preds came out on fire. Every line was generating really good scoring chances, and they were stonewalled by Kipper, who should also be called a douche simply because he told Finland he would only play in the Olympics if he was the starting goaltender.
But back to the game, the Flames came out much better in the second. They starting attacking the Preds and not giving them so much space. I thought the Preds did a good job of adjusting and were still getting good shots on goal and pressure around the net.
This one was a nail biter going into the third. I think everyone watching was just waiting for one of the teams to make a mistake. You could feel that whichever team scored first would win. Fortunately for myself and other Preds fans, it was Calgary who made a crucial mistake. Horny banged the puck home right in Kipper's 5 hole. Perfect example of what going to the net can do. We managed to hold them off for the last 5 or so minutes of the game. Dan Ellis even took a shot at the empty net; again, love this guy. His post game interview was entertaining, as usual. Was really happy for him to get the shutout, his first of the year and tenth of his career.
With that win, the Predators swept this Canadian road trip. For the season, we got 10 out 12 points out in Western Canada. That's success if I've ever seen it.
The team is looking really good now. My only concern is us getting guys back from injury. With the team gelled the way it is right now, is throwing Arnott, Tootoo, and Smithson back in the lineup going to mess with all of that? Personally, I am fine with the way the young guys are playing right now, and it would be a shame to see Spaling, or Thuresson get sent down in favor of Smithson. However, I do want Tootoo back in the lineup. Belak is not a good fighter, as evidenced by the whooping he got last night. At least Tootoo's fights have energy. Belak bores me and contributes nothing. Watching him try to forecheck last night just made me want to laugh. Even if he had stolen the puck, he wouldn't have known what to do with it.
The team made it back to Nashville last night, and there's not another game until Toronto is in town on Monday. I'm ready for some hockey. This Olympic break is creeping up on me, and I am none too thrilled about the prospect of a month between attending games.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think the returning players will mess up the Preds mojo. Arnott's pretty good, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid Leafs.

    I'm with you on Belak. I don't mind (as much) if you're not good at hockey as long as you can whup somebody, but he doesn't seem to be able to do that either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JujuB: Arnott is good when he wants to be. He's more lucky than anything. I'm not sure having a guy who takes more shifts off than anyone back on the ice is the best pick me up. He definitely looked rusty last night.

    Aubrey: I don't even want to talk about the Leafs. Still debating on if it's worth a post/recap or whatever. Like I said, when Belak was forechecking, if he had gotten the puck, he wouldn't have known what to do with it. What sucks worse is that he brings down the other 2 forwards (usually rookies) who are stuck on a line with him.

    ReplyDelete